IMPROVEMENT OF WORKING CONDITIONS IN THE TURKISH COTTON INDUSTRY – TOWARD DECENT WORKING CONDITIONS ON COTTON FARMS IN SANLIURFA
The first phase of the project, which was carried out in two phases with the cooperation of international brands, started in August 2017 and ended in September 2019, and the second phase started in January 2020 and ended in April 2021.
Aims of the Project:
- To increase cooperation with the public on decent working conditions and employment practices,
- To increase the capacity of key actors,
- To motivate public and social services, local resources for the workforce in the cotton sector,
- To develop intervention methods at a level of land.
Project first phase activities:
- Worker Demographic Profiling and Community Profile Research
- Stakeholder Mapping
- Training and Capacity Building: Training was provided on 8 subjects in 11 pilot areas at a level of the field.
- Learning Package and Decent Work
- Basic HSE
- Advanced HSE
- Effects of Pesticides on Human Health and Reproductive Health
- First Aid (At a level of field)
- First Aid Certificate Program (Provincial Health Directorate)
- Disaster Management (Earthquake, Fire Drill)
- Making Local Hat Techniques
- Direct Improvement Interventions At a Field Level: Establishment of Labor and Service Contracts and use in pilot lands, Canopy (Fixed and Mobile canopies, Specially designed local hats), Learning Books, Child Labor and Education Posters, Farmer Awareness Sessions (at a level of land), Farmer Awareness Meetings, Stakeholder Visits, Information Days (ISKUR), Awareness Signs (HSE), Pre- and Post Harvest Drinking Water Analysis
- Collaboration with Local and National Stakeholders
- The result sharing meeting of the project was held on 13 February 2019 in Sanlıurfa with the participation of the TR Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Services and Sanlıurfa Governorship.
Project second phase activities:
- The training materials created in the first phase were developed and diversified. The website www.pamuktaisgucu.com , where these materials are compiled and can be a consultation area for anyone working in the field, has been launched.
- Capacity-building activities and collaborations were carried out jointly with local institutions (Chambers of Agriculture, The Red Crescent, Iskur, Catom, Support to Life Association).
- One-on-one mentoring was provided for agricultural consultants, farmers, worker training and agricultural intermediaries.
- Findings and recommendations documents were prepared to share with the relevant ministries.
- Working on Decent Work Referral Services Mechanism
- The online result sharing meeting of the project was held with the participation of the Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Services https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buo2cgAWp5c
For more details, visit pamuktaisgucu.com.